Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Ray Lynch

In the late 1980's, I was in college at the University of Maine. One weekend, I decided to visit Bar Harbor, a charming coastal town and home to Acadia National Park. So I walked into a gift shop and there was this music playing. And I took notice right away because the song (even though a different genre), sounded a bit like Call Me by Blondie. But the song and the entire CD, was decidedly New Age and yet I couldn't get it out of my head. There's was just something about the the rhythm and feel of this CD that stuck with me.

That song was Celestial Soda Pop from a CD titled Deep Breakfast.

Deep Breakfast to date has sold 1,256,814 copies. It was the first independently released album to reach Platinum status (over 1 million copies sold).

It's music from a man who has, in total, sold over two million albums, won three Billboard Awards, and yet, he's never made a music video and doesn't go on tour.

That man is Ray Lynch.

Ray Lynch - Music You Need to Hear

2 comments:

Mel said...

Oh, I hadn't thought of Ray Lynch in forever. Had to go and find my "Deep Breakfast" CD -- which was easy to do since my albums are alphabetized -- and put it on. I was immediately transported back to my college apartment, lying in bed and falling asleep to "The Oh of Pleasure." Always made me think of oxygen bubbles rising upwards. Was terrific morning music, too, as I recall. Remember the quote inside? "Evelyn slapped Raymond on the back with a laugh. 'You must be starved, old friend. Come into my apartments, and we'll suffer through a deep breakfast of pure sunlight'" (From "The Mummery by Da Free John. The Advaitayana Buddhist Communion) Loved that.

Anonymous said...

This makes me picture tiny aliens.